Planning for Fall 2017
The deadline to submit the completed paperwork for Fall 2017 MCB or IB-sponsored DeCal courses is
Friday, April 14, 2017 by 3pm to 3060 VLSB.
Each semester, the MCB and IB departments sponsor several DeCal courses that are facilitated by UC Berkeley students. If you have an idea for a course that is relevant to the majors (in terms of subject matter taught) please follow the steps below to get started. DeCal offers start up workshops to help you.
MCB/IB DeCal Rules
- You must be a 5+ terms in attendance in order to facilitate an MCB or IB-sponsored DeCal, and must be in good academic standing. For non-majors, that means an overall GPA of 2.0. For majors, you must have at least a 2.0 major GPA.
- There will be no more than two facilitators allowed for any single DeCal course. One of these facilitators must be a major within the host department (MCB or IB).
- The content of the course must be within the scope of the academic program.
- The course must be open to all students for enrollment.
- The course cannot require advocacy, fundraising, or publicity for student organizations.
- The course cannot discriminate against those students who choose not to optionally participate in the student organization's activities.
- Download the Course Proposal Form for Student-Facilitated Courses, review the documents to be sure that you are aware of the university regulations and policies, and prepare your course materials.
- Download and complete the MCB/IB Supplemental Application.
- Find a faculty sponsor associated with the host department (IB or MCB) and take the materials to him/her for approval.
- Drop off the completed forms to 3060 VLSB for the departmental approver, Carina Galicia, to review. She will follow up to let you know whether if it has departmental approval, or whether a meeting will be required to discuss your DeCal before approving.
- Maria Park (MCB) or Emerita Dela Cruz (IB) will
- obtain remaining signatures from the Department Chair,
- request a room,
- send paper copy to COCI before the deadline, and
- send an electronic copy to the DeCal Board Program with facilitators CC-ed.