Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB)
Fostering a Culture of Inclusivity and Belonging
MCB Statement on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging:
“As a department, we are committed to increasing the representation of historically excluded groups among our students, scholars and staff. We believe that embracing a wide range of opinions and backgrounds is key to ensuring innovation and excellence in our science. To make this possible, we are dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusivity and belonging through concrete actions to eliminate discrimination, address disparities, and to ensuring equitable opportunities for everyone within our academic community.” ~ MCB Equity Committee
Equity Committee Members (2023-24 Academic Year) The goals of MCB’s Equity Committee include advising departmental leadership on promoting, supporting, and strengthening a culture of inclusion and belonging in MCB. Questions? Contact Us: email@example.com
Dr. Hernan Garcia (Equity Advisor)
|Dr. Ellen Lumpkin|
Dr. Gian Garriga
|Dr. Ellen Robey|
Dr. David Weisblat
|Valeria King (Graduate Rep)|
Dr. Andrea M. Gomez
|Maria Torres Colon (Graduate Rep)|
Dr. Meng-meng Fu
|Dr. Mora Ogando (Postdoc Rep)|
Dr. Michael P. Rape
|Dr. Timothy Eisen (Postdoc Rep)|
Dr. James K. Nuñez
Aubrey Green (DEIB Staff Rep)
Community Engagement: Support community retention, development, and belonging.
Communications: Develop and sustain best practices to keep people informed.
Admissions: Advise and support to strengthen an equitable admissions process.
Recruitment: Strategize and support diverse faculty and student recruitment efforts.
Activities & Organizations Our MCB community members host or participate in many activities, programs, and organizations, serving current and prospective MCB community members. Here is a sampling list of these programs for students and postdocs.
- Amgen Scholars – An Undergraduate STEM Summer Research Program
- Bridges to Baccalaureate Program
- NSF Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- Berkeley Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program
- Berkeley Biology Scholars Program (BSP)
- MCB Graduate Student Organization (GSO)
- MCB Grad Student Network (MGN)
- Berkeley | Inclusive Biosciences (iBio)
- MCB Graduate Student and Alumni Association (GSAA)
- STEM*FYI Program
Events MCB students and faculty regularly participate in or host events designed to help strengthen and sustain a culture of inclusion and belonging. Some of those events include the following:
- UC Berkeley | iBio Conferences
- UC Berkeley | Graduate Diversity Admissions Fair
- Ivy Plus Puerto Rico
- SACNAS National Diversity in STEM Conference
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS)
Resources Below, you can find additional resources relevant to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) and higher education that may support you or someone you know.
- Berkeley Division of Equity & Inclusion
- Berkeley Disability Services
- Berkeley Affinity Groups and Diversity Initiatives
- Berkeley Health & Safety
- Berkeley Student Parent Center
Additional Activities & Organizations
- Berkeley Thriving Initiatives
- Society for the Advancement of Hispanics/Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- oSTEM | [LGBTQ+ students STEM professional and social network]
- Alliance for Diversity in Science and Engineering (ADSE)
- Berkeley United Scientists (BUS)
Health & Wellbeing
Safety & Incident Reporting
- Ombuds Office for Students & Postdoctoral Appointees
- Sexual Harassment, Violence Support and Education
DEIB Staff Office Hours Want to say hi, learn, ask questions, or share concerns and ideas about diversity, equity, and inclusion in the MCB? If so, we encourage you to attend DEIB Office Hours, hosted by MCB’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Program Manager, Aubrey Green. These 1:1 30-minute sessions are available in person or via Zoom.
Book an appointment here! If you need to schedule an appointment outside of the times available, contact Aubrey Green via email - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Contact Information
Graduate Affairs Office Our graduate affairs office's mission is to provide excellent support to graduate students, faculty, and the University in its research, education, and public service mission. Visit their website or contact email@example.com with questions.
Undergraduate Affairs Office Check out the resources for our undergraduates on our website or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
To submit additions or suggest edits to the lists above, please email - email@example.com