Contact the advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding these forms.
Research Forms: MCB 99/199, 191, and H196A/B
The paper research applications have been replaced by an online petition process for Fall 2020, outlined below. Students interested in earning MCB units for research should follow these steps. The petition must be submitted by 3pm on Friday of the third week of instruction. See the research page for more information about the courses and how to find a faculty mentor.
- Students discuss research projects and courses with their proposed principle investigator (PI, main faculty mentor). If the PI is outside the MCB department, the student also identifies and contacts an MCB faculty member for research sponsorship.
- Once the student has a project, they submit the new online petition via Google Forms (must be logged in to Berkeley email). The staff advisors review each submission to verify the student is eligible for that course (e.g., MCB 191 students must be in their last term). The form requires the following:
- student information from CalCentral,
- lab information (PI/sponsor name and email, lab department, lab location),
- project title,
- and project proposal (up to one page).
- If eligible, the PI is sent an email with a copy of the student’s petition and research proposal. If approved, the MCB faculty sponsor, if applicable, is also asked for approval.
- Once approved, the advising office will send students their class numbers to enroll in research units on a daily basis. Students must enroll themselves by the campus add/drop deadline: Wednesday of the fourth week of instruction.
Students finishing honors should download and submit the MCB Honors Approval Form [pdf].