Planning for Fall 2016
The deadline to submit the completed paperwork for fall 2016 MCB or IB-sponsored DeCal courses is Friday, March 18, 2016 by 3pm to 3060 VLSB.
Each semester, the MCB and IB departments sponsor several DeCal courses that are facilitated by UC Berkeley students. If you have an idea for a course that is relevant to the majors (in terms of subject matter taught) please follow the steps below to get started. DeCal offers start up workshops to help you.
MCB/IB DeCal Rules
- You must be a junior or senior in order to facilitate an MCB or IB-sponsored DeCal, and must be in good academic standing. For non-majors, that means an overall GPA of 2.0. For majors, you must have at least a 2.0 major GPA.
- There will be no more than two primary facilitators allowed for any single DeCal course. One of these facilitators must be a declared major.
- The content of the course must be within the scope of the academic program.
- The course must be open to all students for enrollment.
- The course cannot require advocacy, fundraising, or publicity for student organizations.
- The course cannot discriminate against those students who choose not to optionally participate in the student organization's activities.
- Download the DeCal Course Proposal Form, review the documents to be sure that you are aware of the university regulations and policies, and prepare your course materials.
- Download and complete the MCB/IB Supplemental Application.
- Find a faculty sponsor within the appropriate department and take the materials to him/her for approval.
- Bring the completed paperwork to Maria Park (MCB) or Emerita Dela Cruz (IB), in the UAO, who will:
- review it for accuracy to be sure it's complete,
- meet with you to discuss expectations for the semester,
- obtain remaining signatures (Department Chair and UAC/APCC Chair),
- request a room,
- send to the COCI before the deadline, and
- make copies for you to pick up and take to the DeCal office (for their on-line schedule).