MCB is not an impacted major. Therefore, we will accept any interested student who meets the minimum course and GPA requirements and is realistically able to complete the major requirements during the student's remaining time at Cal. The deadline to declare MCB is the semester before the Expected Graduation Term listed in CalCentral.
In order to declare the MCB major, you must have:
- 2.0 overall UC Berkeley GPA,
- 2.0 MCB major GPA (all lower and upper division courses taken for MCB),
- 2.0 MCB upper division GPA (all upper division requirements including electives),
- Bio 1A/1AL (either completed or are currently enrolled with a C or better on the first midterm in Bio 1A),
- Chem 3B (completed or are currently enrolled after the 2nd week early add/drop deadline), and
- decided on an emphasis (it is possible to change this after you declare).
MCB Declaration Process
- Fill out the MCB major declaration form online. Questions? contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Receive a confirmation email from email@example.com (will take 1-2 business days)
- Make an appointment to see a staff advisor (after you have received the confirmation email)
- Bring a copy of your Academic Summary from CalCentral and if applicable any transfer transcripts to your appointment. The staff advisor will have the information you submitted online and will help with planning your courses in the major.
- After you have met with a staff advisor you will take your declaration form to a faculty advisor for approval.
- Turn in the signed declaration form to the advising office in 3060 VLSB.
After you Declare
Once declared, you will be required to meet with an MCB UAO advisor each semester to review your progress toward the major before you register for the next semester. An advisor will then lift your registration hold in Cal Central.
Major Probation Policy
An MCB major must maintain a 2.0-grade point average (GPA) in a) the complete set of all upper- and lower-division courses taken for the major at UC Berkeley and b) all upper-division courses taken for the major at UC Berkeley. Upper-division or graduate level MCB courses that are not used to satisfy major requirements are excluded from this calculation. Students for whom either GPA calculation falls below 2.0 will either (a) be placed on departmental probation for the following semester, or (b) dismissed from the major. The decision to dismiss or place on probation will be made by the Undergraduate Affairs Committee and communicated to the student before the following semester begins. If placed on probation, the student has one semester to raise both GPAs to the required 2.0 and will be subject to dismissal if this is not achieved. If dismissed from the major, students must work with an L & S advisor in order to pursue another major.
Please note that probation within the major is a department process to identify and work with students who are having academic difficulties with the major-related coursework. It is not considered an institutional action and not noted on the student's transcript. Questions concerning the MCB probation and dismissal policy may be directed to the staff advisors in the MCB Undergraduate Affairs Office.