Staff academic advisors are trained to support students and assist them in successfully completing their MCB major. They are excellent resources for questions concerning administration and academics, or finding out about other available services. Students should see a staff advisor in order to:
- ask questions about major requirements;
- ask advice about schedule planning;
- declare the MCB major;
- consult about research opportunities, graduate & professional schools, career opportunities, scholarships and internships;
- get their advisor code (AC) number to access Tele-BEARS registration;
- get information and course control numbers for independent research;
- request general assistance, advice or information; and
- find out about upcoming events and programs.
Staff advisors are primarily available for drop-in advising, though limited appointments are available for more complex issues such as probation, academic difficulty and re-admission. If you would like to schedule an appointment, please call 510.643.8895 during drop-in advising hours. Our general email address is email@example.com. We check this email daily, M-F, so you'll receive an answer to questions within one business day. Other contact information shows below.
|Name||Title||Phone number||Advisor Profile|
|Megan Lebre||Academic Advisor||643-8895||View Profile|
|Clara Ng-Quinn||Academic Advisor||643-8895||View Profile|
Faculty advisors are MCB professors assigned to advise students about the MCB department, its courses, research, and other academic issues. Students are assigned a faculty advisor when they declare an MCB major. Students should see their faculty advisors in order to:
- receive guidance toward achieving academic and career goals,
- ask questions about the content of MCB courses,
- request exceptions to MCB major requirements and policies (obtain their signature on MCB Substitution Form),
- ask questions about biological research and about the field of biology in general,
- ask for recommendations on which graduate schools to attend, and
- get their signature on the Curriculum Planning Form, after speaking with a UAO staff advisor first (see above).
Office hours listed below are designated for drop-in advising unless otherwise noted. Faculty advisor office hours are effective from the first day of instruction until the final day of instruction for the fall and spring semesters. Faculty advisors are not available for office hours during winter or summer break. Students may refer to staff drop-in advising hours during summer sessions and non-instructional periods.
Emphasis in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
(assigned by last name of student)
|Eva Nogales (A-C) (I-L)*||708C Stanleyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Email for appointment|
|Andreas Martin (D-H)||570 Stanleyemail@example.com||Thu 1-2p|
|Peter Duesberg (M-R)||353 Donnerfirstname.lastname@example.org||Email for appointment|
|Qiang Zhou (S-Z)||585A LKSemail@example.com||Fri 11-12n (Email in advance)|
|Georjana Barnes||608 Barkerfirstname.lastname@example.org||Fri 1-2p (Email in advance)|
|Gian Garriga*||141 Koshlandemail@example.com||Email for Appointment|
|Henk Roelink||121A Koshlandfirstname.lastname@example.org||Fri 11a-12p (Email in advance)|
|Mike Levine||589A LSAemail@example.com||Fri 3-5p (Email in advance)|
Emphasis in Immunology
|Robert Beatty*||176 LSAfirstname.lastname@example.org||Tues 11:10-12n, Fri 11:10-12n|
Emphasis in Neurobiology
|David Larue||398 LSA||510.642.9637||
|David Presti||249 LSAemail@example.com||Tue 1-1:30p, Wed 10-10:30a|
|Robert Zucker*||111 LSA||510.642.3407||Wed 4:15-5:30p or phone for appt (leave msg with phone number)***|
***LSA locks at 5pm. If you arrive after 5p, call 2-3407 from the phone in the yellow box and Dr Zucker will come out to meet you.
Emphasis in Cell & Developmental Biology
|Gary Firestone*||591A LSAfirstname.lastname@example.org||Mon 10:30a-12n or by appointment|
|Diana Bautista||351A LSAemail@example.com||Wed 1:00-2:00p or via email appointment|
|Terry Machen||231A LSAfirstname.lastname@example.org||
|Lin He||300C LKSemail@example.com||Tue 4-5p (Email by 1:30pm Tuesday to schedule an appointment)|
* indicates the head advisor for the emphasis
Peer advisors are junior & senior MCB majors who volunteer their time to complement the UAO advising services by sharing their knowledge of and experience with lower division requirements and upper division classes, experience with student groups on campus, preparation for life beyond the B.A., and use of various campus resources. To see the schedule and more information about who our peer advisors are and which courses they've taken, click here.