Eligible students interested in receiving academic units for research experience are eligible to register for MCB 99/199: Supervised Independent Study and Research through the MCB department. Students are expected to have adequate backgrounds and have arranged to work in a MCB-related laboratory. MCB 99 and 199 applications are available from the Forms to Download page.
- MCB 99/199 must be sponsored by an MCB faculty member, though the rearch experience can be in any appropriate laboratory. If you are in an MCB lab, then the PI is your sponsor. If you are in a non-MCB lab, you must find an MCB faculty member to sponsor the units. Typically, students will check with their PI for existing collaborations with MCB faculty members or approach past instructors.
- You may receive 1 unit of credit for every 3 hours of work per week in the lab, up to a maximum of 4 units per semester.
- You may not receive MCB 99/199 credit and simultaneously be on payroll for research done in the same lab. (Students are allowed to receive credit and simultaneously receive research awards, such as the Biology Fellows Program, UC Leads, etc.)
- Admission to MCB 99 requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 in fewer than 60 units and is restricted to P/NP.
- Admission to MCB 199 requires a minimum GPA of 2.0 in at least 60 units and is restricted to P/NP.
To receive MCB 99/199 credit for research, you must:
- Download the MCB 99/199 Application.
- Find an MCB faculty member to sponsor your research.
- Submit the completed MCB 99 or 199 application to the Undergraduate Affairs Office in 3060 VLSB by the add/drop deadline of the semestser you would like to enroll in the course (an application must be submitted each semester for which you wish to receive MCB credit).
- Submit a written report on the research project to your PI and/or MCB sponsor at the end of each semester. Expectations should be discussed with your PI and/or MCB faculty sponsor prior to the completion of the semester.