The University of California, Berkeley seeks applications for up to five tenure-track positions in the Life Sciences with a potential start date of July 1, 2019.
UC Berkeley is one of world's leading public universities and is home to exciting and innovative research. Learn more about Berkeley: https://www.berkeley.edu/about
We enthusiastically invite applications from early career researchers from across the life sciences for consideration in an open area cluster recruitment. Successful candidates will be invited to join one or more of the following departments: Nutritional Science and Toxicology; Plant and Microbial Biology; Environmental Science, Policy and Management; Molecular and Cell Biology; Integrative Biology; Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering; or Chemistry. Resulting hires will be appointed as Assistant Professors and will be supported in developing a first-class field and/or research program and teaching and mentorship programs.
At Berkeley, we value diversity, equity and inclusion. This is exemplified by the following principles of community: we recognize the intrinsic relationship between diversity and excellence in all our endeavors; we embrace open and equitable access to opportunities for learning and development as our obligation and goal. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students and staff who share our commitment to these principles. Successful candidates for our faculty positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion. Financial and in-kind resources are available for faculty to pursue activities that help accelerate our efforts to achieve our equity and inclusion goals. For more information, visit https://diversity.berkeley.edu/programs-services/faculty
Required Minimum Basic Qualifications:
- Ph.D. or equivalent international degree at time of application
Additional Qualifications by start date:
- Evidence of contributions to advance diversity, equity and inclusion through previous work, proposed efforts, and/or depth of understanding.
- At least one year post-doctoral research experience completed by start date
- Potential for significant impact or contributions in research including development of new lines of inquiry and/or interdisciplinary collaboration
- Demonstrated ability or potential to contribute in undergraduate and graduate teaching and mentorship
- Prior experience providing outreach and/or service to scientific or academic communities
Applications must be received by November 9, 2018. To apply, please go to the following link https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01937. Please direct all questions to email@example.com
Applicants should include the following required documents:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research: a description of past research accomplishments and proposed research at Berkeley
- Statement of Teaching and Service: a description of prior teaching experience, teaching philosophy, and future teaching interests, as well as a statement of prior and proposed academic, professional and/or community service experience. NOTE: these may be uploaded as two separate documents if preferred.
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity: a statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including information about your understanding of these topics , your record of activities to date, and your specific plans and goals for advancing equity and inclusion if hired as a Berkeley faculty member (for additional information go to https://ofew.berkeley.edu/recruitment/contributions-diversity).
- Publication #1: upload a pdf file of complete publication or an active link
- Publication #2: upload a pdf file of complete publication or an active link
- Publication #3: upload a pdf file of complete publication or an active link
As part of the application process, please select one or more preferred departments and areas of specialization in your online application.
Applicants should arrange to have three letters of reference submitted online. All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are produced via a third party (i.e. dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html) prior to having their referees submit their letters.
UC Berkeley is committed to addressing the family needs of faculty, including dual career couples and single parents. For information about potential relocation to Berkeley, or career needs of accompanying partners and spouses, please visit: https://ofew.berkeley.edu/new-faculty.
The University of California is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct