De-Cal courses sponsored by MCB or IB
Planning for FALL 2014
***Deadline: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 4pm***
Each semester, the MCB and IB departments sponsor several De-Cal courses that are facilitated by UC Berkeley students. If you have an idea for a course that is relevant to the majors (in terms of subject matter taught) please follow the steps below to get started. De-Cal offers start up workshops to help you.
*The deadline to submit the completed paperwork for fall 2014 MCB or IB-sponsored DeCal courses is Wednesday, May 14, 2014 by 4pm to 3060 VLSB.
**Note that MCB and IB has a slightly different set of guidelines than what is on the DeCal web site.
Course Facilitation: Who qualifies?
- You must be a junior or senior in order to facilitate an MCB or IB-sponsored DeCal, and must be in good academic standing. For non-majors, that means an overall GPA of 2.0. For majors, you must have at least a 2.0 major GPA.
- There will be no more than two primary facilitators allowed for any single DeCal course. One of these facilitators must be a declared major.
- All DeCal facilitators will be required to meet with James Depelteau when the forms are submitted, to review expectations for the semester.
- The content of the course must be within the scope of the academic program.
- The course must be open to all students for enrollment.
- The course cannot require advocacy, fundraising, or publicity for student organizations.
- The course cannot discriminate against those students who choose not to optionally participate in the student organization's activities.
- Download the Course Proposal Form - Student Facilitated Courses, review the documents to be sure that you are aware of the university regulations and policies, and prepare your course materials (syllabus, answer the 7 questions on the course proposal form, etc.).
- Download and complete the supplemental application (DeCal_Packet).
- Find a faculty sponsor within the appropriate department and take the materials to him/her for approval.
- Bring the completed paperwork to James Depelteau, in the UAO, who will
- review it for accuracy to be sure it's complete,
- meet with you to discuss expectations for the semester,
- obtain remaining signatures (Department Chair and UAC/APCC Chair),
- request a room,
- send to the COCI before the deadline, and
- make copies for you to pick up and take to the DeCal office (for their on-line schedule).